Sunday, June 14, 2009

Summer is here...

The summer semester is in full-swing, summer Mother's Day Out is up and running, and the HEAT has arrived, so it's safe to say that the summer is officially upon us. We spent this weekend at Lake Wehapa--lots of good food, good company, and good croquet.

Favorite thing AM did this week

Matthew got home from work one day this week, and was greeting AM as she played puzzles in her room. She looked up at him and said, "How's work?" Pretty cute of her, and just another reminder that our 22 month-old is hearing (and repeating!) everything we say these days!

Speaking of AM, she had a great time at the lake--she had friends there to play with, and she loved watching the crazy thunderstorms come across the water. The LOUD thunder didn't scare her too much at all. Here some photos of the aforementioned storms, and some of AM and company AM enjoying the croquet tournament.









AM, Jay, and Jake had their own "croquet" game going while the grown-ups played on the adjacent grass.

Favorite thing I read this week
In honor of summer term starting, I will give a little student anecdote...I have my Art History 101 students do a short assignment at the beginning of the term in which they choose a work of art from the textbook and write about what elements of art and design principles the artist used (i.e. line, color, shape, perspective, etc.). For extra credit they can also choose a work of art NOT in their textbook to write about. I didn't give them any parameters beyond that, and inevitably, one kid wrote about a painting of dogs playing poker, more specifically dogs cheating at poker. I had to give him full credit--it is a "work of art not in the textbook." I look forward to this kid's term paper on Velvet Elvis.

Favorite thing I saw this week
The first time I visted mymessymonkeys.com, I thought their fabulous prices on adorable kids' clothes were part of a special, end-of-the-spring sale. I was wrong! Last month I paid $50 (total) for 3 great smocked dresses for AM. I perused the site again today, and not only is there new merchandise up, but the prices are still remarkably low--most dresses are between $12 & $20. Moms, aunts, grandmommies, and anyone else who shops for kids should definitely visit this site. Plus, it's a Bham business, and I love to support the locals!

1 comment:

  1. Yea Alice!!! I love your new blog...thanks for sharing it with me! Hope to see you soon.

    Sarah Brown

    ReplyDelete